Saturday, March 21, 2015

March 16, 2015 - Bridgewater, Nova Scotia

Mahone Bay


This week has been very eventful and busy. I thought that spring was on its way but it has been cold here all week. Church got cancelled again yesterday because of another snow storm. So we had to stay indoors. We got about 15 cm of snow. Hopefully this was the last big snowfall we get for a while. I'm hoping by conference all the snow will be gone. That's only 3 weeks away by the way!

Last Monday Night, we went to family home evening with the Nillsons. They invited us over and had us help teach the lesson which was "The Plan of Salvation". Aisha taught it. She is the youngest in the family. They have a tradition where they have missionaries put their handprints on their wall. So I put mine in red paint. While we were over there, Brother Nillson mentioned that their son just got transferred to Lethbridge. He's in the Sharon Park, Mountain Heights ward. So if you see him around say hi to him for me.

Wednesday, we went out to Lockeport. Lanie reached out to us and invited us for lunch with his friend from Cole Harbour. He said he has been reading the manual, pamphlets, and Book of Mormon but has a hard time understanding everything but he wants to believe that it is true. We were going to teach him about the Plan of Salvation but we felt prompted to teach him about the Gospel instead particularly "Enduring to the End." We were also going to put him on date for baptism but felt like it wasn't the right time to do that yet. It's cool how sometimes you go into a lesson with a set lesson plan but end up deviating from it because the Spirit tells you to. After that we went to Liverpool and did some knocking which proved to be ineffective. It was actually nice out on Wednesday. 

Thursday was transfers. It was fun as always. I dropped off Elder Nielsen at the Mission Office at 6. Then I went with Elder Sortomme for the day until after the temple. Going to the temple was amazing as always. I got to see Elder Bodine and Elder Torrie there. Every time I go to the temple I love it more and more. There is such an amazing feeling when I go. A feeling of incredible peace and happiness. There's not a feeling in the world than when I'm in the temple. At the end of the temple session, Elder Torrie embraced me and said something that touched me. "I love ya Elder O'Brien. Work hard, have fun, keep smiling, no regrets." I loved Elder Torrie. He was one of the first missionaries that took me in right when I got into the mission. He cared about me and I could tell that I meant a lot to him. We had some fun times in the apartment in Halifax. I have now been able to go to the temple 5 times on my mission and I feel very blessed that I have gotten go there quite a bit. Every time I go, after the session is over all the returning missionaries give each other hugs. I've wondered what It would be like to be getting ready to go home. Is it hard? Is it bittersweet? What is it like? It gives me motivation to one day go to the temple with all the missionaries I came out with and hug each other saying, "We made it."  I love the inscription on the temple "House of the Lord, Holiness to the Lord." That really stuck out to me this time. It is the Lord's holy house. LOVE THE TEMPLE. LOVE THE SPIRIT THAT'S THERE. Elder Bodine was excited to see me. He gave me a hug right when he saw me. He looked really happy to be going home. He said that Hampton misses me and that every time he's at the Downey's for supper. Kaylia asks if the tall, really skinny elder is ever coming back haha. I miss Hampton. It seems like forever ago now that I was there. 

Friday we gave service at the the Lion's club in New Germany. It was a service referral we got while knocking a while ago. We helped clean and put away dishes mostly. That lasted for about two hours. They gave us dinner as our reward. We also visited Brother Tidd so Elder Beckmen could get to know him. Elder Beckmen is very missionary minded, works really hard, and is a forceful missionary. Being the senior companion has been good for me. I'm developing more confidence in myself. It's helping me grow.

Well that's all I got for this week. 

Have a great week!
Love,
Elder O'Brien

No comments:

Post a Comment