Monday, May 4, 2015

April 13, 2015 - Bridgewater, Nova Scotia



Hello Family,
Well it sounds like you have had a very exciting week. Chris's e-mail was the first one I read :). Congratulations on your call to serve in the Texas Fort Worth mission Chris and being ordained an Elder. Sounds like it was a pleasant surprise. There were some Elders in my MTC zone that were going to that mission. It would be cool if you served with them. The only one I remember right now though is Elder Britt. He was really nice along with the other missionaries going there.

It's going to be cool for both of us to be out at the same time. We'll have lots of stories to share and things about our mission as well. I am excited for you Chris. We will have very different climates. I will be complaining about the snow while you're complaining about the heat. I look forward to Chris telling me all about his mission call in the weeks ahead. In under a month I will be Skyping home again. That is weird to think. 

We find out about transfers on Sunday and transfers are on Thursday.I hope I stay here but if my purpose in Bridgewater is fulfilled then I am certainly willing to go somewhere else. This transfer has gone by really fast. Stake Conference is on Mother's Day this year so I'll be able to tell you all about stake conference when I Skype home that day. If I get transferred to Newfoundland, then I would have missed district conference as it was this last weekend. 

Spring has finally sprung here in Nova Scotia. We have had blue skies all weekend and sunshine. It was plus 10 yesterday with more sunny weather forecast this week. But my week was opposite from yours. We weren't able to meet with any of our investigators and we did a lot of proselyting, and doing our wall map. It was a pretty uneventful.
On Wednesday, District Meeting was in Bridgewater. President Leavitt did a conference call with the whole mission for some of it. Talking about the changes he's made with our wall map, area book and member book - how our books are a living document of inspiration, how our wall maps can be used as a source of revelation as well. On the conference call, he spoke about the new mission president. He said he's spoken to him and his wife. He describes them as being very kind, gentle people. He said when they come the missionaries will be saying, "President Leavitt who's that?" I highly doubt I'll forget President Leavitt. He is one of a kind. He has a big sense of humour and cares about the missionaries very passionately. Anyway, we talked about making backup plans when our plans fall through. Which they do a lot especially with winter and giving spontaneous service. Appointments falling through. We need to have a plan in place in case some of our plans do fall through.
On Thursday we were supposed to give service at the hospital in the morning but that fell through. Luckily, we applied what we learned in District Meeting and made back-up plans. Instead we made some calls, street contacted, and worked on our wall map. In the afternoon we visited Sister Wentzell. She just got home form the hospital.
Love,
Elder O'Brien

No comments:

Post a Comment