Thursday, November 12, 2015

November 2, 2015 - Woodstock, New Brunswick

Dear Family,

Another week has gone by and it is November. Christmas is only a month and a half away. For that reason.. Me and Elder Steimle have begun listening to Christmas music to help bring in the Christmas Spirit to our days. Before you know it we will all see each other on a screen and will be talking to each other vocally. I am excited for that Skype. It'll be fun to have a group Skype.

Yesterday was daylight saving's and as much as I tried to get an extra hour of sleep in my body wouldn't let me. It kept telling me "It's 6:30 you need to wake up". I tried to tell it "No it's not you can sleep for another hour." This was disconcerting to me. It makes me wonder how my body will respond when I can actually sleep in past 6:30. But I have a while before I have to worry about that :P. At least that's what I've been telling myself. "9 months is a really long time.. I don't have to worry about going home yet."

My week was pretty uneventful. We went to Island Falls on Tuesday and tried visiting some less actives out there but some of them fell through so we ended up doing some finding instead. There is one less active in Island Falls that stopped coming to Church 7 years ago because a member that is still fully active offended him. What's even more saddening is that he has stopped reading the scriptures and praying completely because he got offended. He is a really nice guy and everything but he is just hard to talk to.

President Pratt came to our district meeting on Wednesday. It was fun having him there. He had a lot of nice input. The mission's focus right now is working with the YSA Less Actives and helping them come back. The whole reason behind this YSA push is because the active YSAs in the Maritimes are few. President Pratt want us to reach out to and help the YSA program become stronger. They are the future generation for this area of the world and they need to be treated very seriously. I personally am a huge fan of this focus. With YSAs they are our age and it is easier for us to connect with them.

We had fried chicken with an investigator this week. After dinner we had a lesson with him. We taught him the Plan of Salvation and used Jeremiah 1:5 as one of the scriptures. The lesson went well. He was very receptive to the lesson and was very involved. He had some good questions about the Pre-Earth life that we were able to answer in a simple way. He is going in for surgery today and we are hoping for a speedy recovery for him. 

On Saturday it was Halloween and it was a pretty quiet Halloween for Woodstock. Not a lot of kids were out and the streets were pretty bare. For Halloween we got into our apartment at the right time and did our weekly planning like we usually have for the evening. It was a pretty uneventful Halloween for me this year. Which is a good thing.

On Sunday we had fast and testimony meeting. The testimonies were good. There were a couple that were story-monies but every testimony meeting has those no matter where you are. After Church we had a very heart-warming dinner appointment with some members. They are a fun family. At the end of the dinner appointment, the wife got emotional and sincerely asked us to contact her if we are hungry and have nowhere to go for dinner. It really got to her that no one fed us Canadian Thanksgiving Dinner this year. She said that if it were her child she would be very upset. They are a very fun-loving family and they make me feel at home whenever I go over there. There is always those members in every area that passionately care about the missionaries and we feel close too.

Have a good week!

Love,

Elder O'Brien the older

No comments:

Post a Comment