Saturday, February 13, 2016

February 1, 2016 - Bridgewater, Nova Scotia

Dear Family,

It has been a pretty uneventful week here in Nova Scotia. We did get another snow storm on Friday though. By Saturday afternoon all the roads were plowed. So people didn't really have any excuse why they couldn't come to Church yesterday.

Our ward mission leader's house burned down last Monday. His wife was getting their kids ready for school and when they went into the garage there was a big hole in their garage and there was smoke everywhere. They don't know what the cause was for the fire. Now they are currently residing in a hotel for the time being. We usually have correlation at his house and we joked about having correlation in his hotel room. It would be a funny mission story to tell when I got home. But we decided having correlation in a hotel room with 5 missionaries and him, his wife, and their 5 kids probably wouldn't be the wisest thing to do so we are having correlation at the Church instead. You'd think that they are pretty shaken by all this but they are being champs about the whole situation. They didn't seem phased that their house burned down and will probably have to get a new one. They are being really upbeat about the whole thing. 

This Sunday is TL day (Transfer letters). Transfers will take place next week. This transfer letter will be very significant for me and it will impact the rest of my mission a great deal. If I stay here another transfer then I will likely have only 1 more area. If I get transferred then I have 1 or 2 areas left. But I am on the chomping block this week. I know when I got transferred back here that I would only be back for a shorter amount of time. Over the span of the last 9 transfers, 6 of those have been in Bridgewater. I have been here for almost a total of 9 months. That's a long time! That's almost half my mission in one area. I feel like I have done almost I can in this area and I have exhausted a lot of work here. If I leave next week I will be sad to leave again but I will leave knowing I've done what I got sent back here to do. It has been such a joy to serve here. 

On Monday and Tuesday we went on an exchange with the Sackville Elders. We saw a less active family that evening and they have two daughters that don't have a lot of gospel knowledge. But the mom and the brother know quite a bit about the gospel. So we taught them the Restoration and committed them to read their scriptures every day.

On Thursday President Pratt came down to Bridgewater and gave a training on member missionaries to the bishopric, the ward mission leader, us, and the ward missionaries. In the training President Pratt stated that members aren't doing a good enough job at doing member missionary work. He said that they need to do better. He talked about implementing Pray, Look, Speak, and Invite and about having the missionaries work with selected families and teach them those principles and help them overcome their fears. We will meet them weekly until they become a reliable source for referrals. 

Saturday, nobody was on the streets, nobody was answering their door, nobody was answering their phone. It was just one of those days. But we were able to meet with one of our less actives that we haven't seen in a long time.

Have a good week!

Love,

Elder O'Brien (the older)

No comments:

Post a Comment