Friday, March 11, 2016

February 29, 2016 - Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia

Dear Family,

Today is February 29th, a leap year. The last leap year I was in Grade 11. Julie was going through a hard time at the time and I received revelation to post a EFY song on her page. It is important to note that that simple act wasn't my idea. I acted upon revelation that I received from the Lord. I was being  an instrument in the Lord's hands. Alma 26:11 "But Ammon said unto him: I do not boast in my own strength, nor in my own wisdom; but behold, my joy is full, yea, my heart is brim with joy, and I will rejoice in my God." I have had many experiences on my mission like that. Tiny simple acts that the Lord compelled us to do. These experiences are retained in my mind, my journal, and my blog. I will most likely share some of these experiences in my homecoming talk.  

This month the mission is doing "The Atonement: Study Guide." We get 30 additional minutes of personal study every day solely dedicated to studying the Atonement. Each day there is a talk with an activity. In participating in this special study of the Atonement, the goal is for us missionaries to deepen our understanding of the Atonement and increase our testimony.

I received a cool spiritual impression on Wednesday. Elder Steimle thought it would be a good idea if I did part of President's Training on talking to everyone. I shared with him some scriptures and my insights in a companion study the day before. He felt the spirit as I shared those scriptures along with my thoughts on them. He thought that those scriptures would go along nicely with the training. So... he had me share the scriptures D&C 24:12, D&C 60:2-3. After I did my part in the training I sat down. As I was sitting there in district meeting the impression came to my mind, "I'm ready to become a zone leader." I have thought a lot about that impression and pondered on it. I'm at the point right now where I would feel completely comfortable being a zone leader. I feel strongly that a leadership assignment is on the horizon whether it's being a zone leader or district leader. 

THURSDAY: It was pouring rain all day. The wind was 50 km/h. It was miserable to go tracting in. But we persevered. We had a nice visit with a member of the ward that lives on his own. He is very spiritual and has a strong testimony of the Atonement. Through a series of heart attacks he has come to know that the Savior loves him.

SUNDAY:  Elder Steimle gave a talk on "being a example and a light". That was the theme for sacrament. We had choir practice after Church. Only 8 people showed up. Elder S was the only tenor. We had dinner with Bishop Johnson's family. The Johnson's are awesome! They are such good people and have such good kids who live the gospel. One of their kids is our age. She is 18 and planning on going on a mission. You'd love their family if you met with. Trust me. 

Have a good week!

Love,
Elder O'Brien (the older)

No comments:

Post a Comment