Friday, April 1, 2016

March 21, 2016 - Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia

Hello Family,

It's officially the first day of Spring and as we speak it is snowing outside and it's supposed to be snowing all day today. The snow began at 11 o'clock last night and it hasn't stopped.  We have a dinner appointment tonight so I am hoping that we don't get grounded. 

Salt Lake City was in town this week. The Missionary Department came and spent a couple days here observing President Pratt and observing the mission. They held a big leadership meeting in Moncton on Thursday for all the zone leaders in the mission and all the sister training leaders. The Missionary Department made some changes by the end of it all. But it was just some minor changes. They tweaked the way we do our nightly planning sessions and they tweaked the way we do our companionship studies. They also emphasized the difference between "planning" and "scheduling". They were referring to how when we are planning we shouldn't be making phone calls or making jokes. We should be seeking inspiration on where we need to be and what we need to do.

For the Atonement Study this week there were 2 things that stuck out to me. The first thing was the talk by Elder Scott on Thursday "He Lives! All Glory to His Name!". The part that stuck to me in his talk didn't even have to do with the Atonement to be honest. It is when he was talking about how parents need to teach fundamental truths in the home. He said "In time we will be released from all other assignments we receive but not from that of father and mother." 

The second thing that stuck out to me was the reading of Mosiah 3-5 yesterday. I really like the last verse in Mosiah 4 after King Benjamin warns the people of the consequences of denying beggars and not repenting.

Mosiah 4:30 - "But this much I can tell you, that if ye do not watch yourselves, and your thoughts, and your words, and your deeds, and observe the commandments of God, and continue in the faith of what ye have heard concerning the coming of our Lord, even unto the end of your lives, ye must perish. And now, O man, remember, and perish not."

I like how blunt he is in his address. He doesn't mince words and says it like it is. I like the phrase "O remember". Remember my warning and my promise. That to me is just very powerful.

It is Easter this weekend and the weekend following is General Conference. I am happy to be spending Easter here in Sackville and grateful for the chance I have to share this Easter with the members in Sackville. I didn't have a turkey dinner at Thanksgiving in Woodstock. The Pineau's are feeding us Easter Dinner on Saturday. That should be a fun time.

A week from now is transfer week. As for me and my situation, I told you about the impression I received a couple weeks back about becoming a zone leader. As to when and where and who I wasn't told so I really don't know when it is going to be. But it has been awhile since I have had a transfer with no changes. But whether changes come or not I'm just gonna continue to do my thing in Sackville :).

As for the week itself, it was a fairly good week. We went on exchanges with the Bridgewater Elders on Tuesday. On Wednesday we had District Meeting in Sackville. The trainings were on Accountability to God and obedience to the mission rules. 
Other than that I was feeling woozy and light-headed Thursday afternoon. I told Elder Steimle I needed to lie down and I did. After 2 hours I was fine and ready to work again. We had St. Paddy's Day dinner. 

On Friday we attended basketball in the evening. I am teaching Elder Steimle the tips and tricks of basketball. He appreciates my knowledge of the game and skill level. He feels inadequate whenever we're playing but he is a really speedy defender to his credit. 

Have a good week! Happy Easter Weekend!

"He is risen! He is risen!
Tell it out with joyful voice.
He has burst his three days' prison;
Let the whole wide earth rejoice.
Death is conquered; man is free.
Christ has won the victory."

Matthtew 28: 6 "He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay."

#Hallelujah

Love,
Elder O'Brien (the older)

No comments:

Post a Comment