Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Hampton - September 29th

Elder Torrie, Elder O'Brien, Elder Jason

This last week has been a bit of a crazy week. In the days leading up to being transferred to a new area, I really wanted to leave my mark on Halifax before I left. So I set a goal to contact more people than I usually do. I felt like I did contact more people than usual. I talked to this one guy at the bus stop in Halifax who was a Baptist. I stopped him on his way to his bus and offered him a card. He said that he was a baptist and wasn't interested. But a couple minutes later he came up to me and asked what time our church was. So that was a cool experience before I left. 

On Wednesday I got to street sing one last time before Sister Turner and I left for our new areas (Sister Turner was one of the STL's in the district who's going to Cole Harbor.) so that was fun. I actually kind of enjoyed street singing. It was a fun way to help others feel the spirit. We always had people staring at us, taking pictures of us, and laughing at us. We got a lot of attention. But no it was fun; even though it was a little uncomfortable at times I enjoyed it. Later on that day Elder Knowles and I took 2 of the new missionaries out proselyting (Elder Wandlass and Elder Hansen) in downtown Halifax. They were both really nervous so we kind of took the lead. It was neat to see how they were looking up to us for guidance on how to street contact. I was with Elder Wandlass while we were downtown. So I talked to the majority of the people that walked by because he's the new missionary and I've been out a transfer. So then I let him do a couple of people. He was struggling so I had to step in a couple times to help him out. But it was a good experience for me because he was the new missionary and I had to teach him how to contact. It made me realize how far I've come since I've been out here. Not too long ago I was the new missionary being taught how to contact. Now I feel comfortable about it, I don't get nervous nearly as much as I used to.
Elder Evanson was there on Wedensday as well. And he got to stay the night with us. It was really nice seeing him before he left. He sounded pretty excited to go home. He asked about his dad being there on Sunday and he said that that would've been weird haha. I meant to get a picture with him before I left but I didn't get around to it. Oh well. You'll have to ask him about his mission when you see him next.
So with transfers - how it works is that there is a transfer van that the Assistants drive. It takes all the missionaries in the metro area that are going to a new area in Nova Scotia/New Brunswick; then there's stops along the way where the missionaries in different areas come on the van or hop off the van. Like we stopped in Truro first, and then we stopped in Moncton. During those stops there are missionaries there to take them to where their area is. The farthest they go is Moncton where I was dropped off and Elder Bodine took me to Hampton. On the way back they take all the missionaries that are going to Nova Scotia that were serving in New Brunswick back. I hope that make sense haha.
The past couple days have been an adjustment - new companion, new area, new apartment, new ward. Elder Bodine is definitely different than Elder Knowles. His personality is a little more edgey than Elder Knowles. He's more outgoing and more assertive. He can be kind of hard to get along with just because he doesn't hold anything back at times. But he means well. We haven't really found anything in common with each other yet but I am going to try harder this week to work on just being myself around him. I've found during my mission that every companion has been different so far in one way or another. Like mom said before I'll have lots of sorts of different companions on my mission. I've just got to learn how to deal with it and make it work.
So the Hampton area covers three towns (Sussex, Quimpamsis, and Hampton) They are all pretty small. Hampton is the smallest. So because the area covers three towns and they are all divided up, we spend at least two days a week in each town. Our ward is called the Kennebecasis Ward. It's called that because all the towns are in the Kennebacasis Valley. We do a lot of knocking because there's nowhere to street contact.  But yeah the ward here is awesome. Yesterday, I had some of the members come up to me and introduce themselves to me. During sacrament meeting the Bishop (Bishop Russell) asked me to come up and bear my testimony. I was nervous but I gave my testimony slowly and clearly. My nervousness kinda showed but I was fine for the most part. That's something I'll have to get used is having to bear my testimony every time iIm in a new area. So I'll be a pro at it by the time I'm done my mission haha. Another thing about this ward is that we got 4 or 5 dinner appointments this week. Like last night we got invited to a member's family dinner. They're called the Graef's. The only day we don't have a DA this week is Thursday. I think I am really going to like the members here. They've welcomed me with open arms and made me feel comfortable. They're also really engaged in missionary work. Like last night we got 2 or 3 referrals from Brother Graef.
The fall colors here are beautiful. Don't worry I'll be taking lots of pics this month while I'm here.
So this weekend is my first general conference on a mission. I am getting pretty excited about it. We do get to stay up late for the priesthood session which is at 9 because I'm 3 hrs ahead of you. So needless to say I may be a little tired the next day. Hopefully I don't fall asleep during the session. I'll be sure to get some winter clothes this month and put it on visa.
Have a great week!
Elder O'Brien

No comments:

Post a Comment