Thursday, October 15, 2015

September 28, 2015 - Woodstock, New Brunswick

Dear Family,

A year ago I was still settling in to Hampton and Elder Bodine. A year later I am completely settled into Woodstock with Elder Evans.
Not very many missionaries can say that 3 apostles have died on their mission. I'm sad to say that I can. I was sad to hear of the passing of Richard G. Scott on Tuesday. He was a very humble and spiritual man. The world has lost another apostle but the spirit world has gained another valiant spirit.

It is beginning to get very chilly in the mornings. It was the coldest on Saturday. I almost needed my winter coat. There was a "fall farmer's market" that afternoon in downtown Woodstock. A lot of people had their coats on and their kids were all bundled up. Fall has officially begun and winter isn't that far away. We did a hot chocolate stand with the Houlton Sisters that day. We had quite a few children come up and ask us for some free hot chocolate. 

It is going to be a busy weekend for us. My birthday is on Friday, then general conference is the next 2 days. Then we get transfer letters on Sunday morning. There is a pizza party for all the priesthood before the Priesthood Session Saturday night.

I am excited for this upcoming General Conference. This will be my 3rd General Conference on my mission. This conference should be an interesting one with 3 apostles passing away and the Supreme Court's ruling in the summer. It will be interesting to see if they address it. It will also be interesting to see how President Monson's health is doing. It is saddening that after this General Conference is over I only have 1 more left on my mission. To make General Conference even more exciting one of our investigators will be attending a session of General Conference.

Last Monday while I was e-mailing you, the man sitting across from me said "Uhh, I know this a library but I've lost the Lord in my life and I want him back." He proceeded to write down all his contact information and handed it to me. Then he said "I also have some Word of Wisdom issues that I want you to help me overcome." This took me by surprise. I certainly wasn't expecting to run into a man at the library to want to meet with us. So we met with him on Saturday and it went really well. He is a very down-to-earth, humble, sincere, spiritual man. He has met with missionaries before and was on-date to be baptized but got really sick and couldn't meet with them anymore. He knows there is a God but doesn't know what he is. He has a basic knowledge of our beliefs. He knows about the Book of Mormon, and about the three kingdoms of glory. He also mentioned he is lonely and wants friends. He said that he's not sure if he will be baptized but he'll see if that's where our visits take him down the road. He said that he is missing a spiritual piece within him and he took it as a sign of seeing us at the library that we can help him find that piece. It was a super cool experience. We committed him to come to the Saturday Session of General Conference and he said he will be coming. He actually came to part of sacrament meeting yesterday. For only 5-10 minutes though. He couldn't stay for long because he had to go somewhere but he was there! We are really excited about this guy.

From training at District Meeting, I learned that I need to teach with more emotion and bear my testimony more. At the end of District Meeting I was invited to bear my testimony at random. It felt really good. I bore my testimony on having confidence in our message and I talked about how our efforts as missionaries are never wasted. I testified of prophets and apostles. I testified that we have the best message in the world to share with people. I felt the spirit as I was testifying and I felt confident as well. One of my favorite parts about being a missionary is being able to bear my testimony so frequently. I love it! 

Well that's about it for my week. Hope you enjoy conference and have a "revelatory expercience" while your watching it. Let me know what your thoughts are. Thank you in advance for the Happy Birthday Wishes and the Birthday Package!

Have a good week!

Love,
Elder O'Brien (the older)

No comments:

Post a Comment