Monday, September 1, 2014

Week One in Halifax - August 25th

Dear Family,

Sorry I wasn't able to e-mail home this morning. Right after companion study all of the missionaries in the zone went over to temple and we got to clean it for two hours. Elder Dupont and I had to clean the font area like the ox and the walls. It was fairly easy nothing too extreme haha. But we had a hard time getting the ladder into the font so that we could clean the windows. Right after we all had some pizza with the temple workers. It was a fun time.

Anyway, last Tuesday was zone conference. Where all of the missionaries in the zone (which happens to be Nova Scotia) meet together from 10-4. We're given instruction on how to be better missionaries. There's talks, musical numbers, scripture recitations. That sort of thing. Oh, and at the end of the conference they pick two random missionaries to give a 5-minute talk on a topic that Pres. Leavitt has given to us to wirte on a week before zone conference. It keeps on our toes haha. Luckily, I wasn't asked to give my 5 minute talk on repentance but they did ask another new missionary that was in my travel group to give his talk. But I did have a talk sort of prepared anyway just in case. I know one of these time their gonna pick on me to give a 5-minute on whatever topic is given a week before. So I best be ready when that time comes. 

At lunch there's a 5BX challenge with 5 elder's. 5BX is the exercise program that we have to do every morning. It includes toe touches, superman's, sit-ups, and jogs.  Then we're given more instruction in the afternoon.At the end of the conference all the missionaries that are going home next transfer bear their testimonies.  This zone conference we mainly talked about how to use area books. Keeping records of all the investigators in the area. My favorite part of the conference was Elder Torrie's talk about having faith to find. I liked how he said that two years isn't that long. So we need to have no regrets. Having faith that the Lord will help you every step of the way. It was a good zone conference. I was able to meet some more missionaries in the zone which was good; it helps me become more comfortable. They all seem pretty nice, and friendly.

For the rest of the week, we taught some of our investigators. Their names are Andrew Diggle, Maye Carson, The Morphy's, Joe Stacy, Bro. Maytherway.  The lesson I liked the most was Andrew because he seems like he is open to us the most. He has a dark past so he wants us to help him turn his life around. We gave him a Book of Mormon, and a Plan of Salvation pamphlet. We also told him of the meeting times at church. We also taught him about the Restoration. After we gave him all that, he said he would take some to think about it.. So I guess we'll see what comes of that. 

Elder Dupont, Elder O'Brien, Elder Knowles 

On Friday, the Family Elders and I  volunteered at a Multi-Cultural Event. We helped the Blood Donor Clinic with getting people to donate blood. It was pretty fun except the chairman of the event didn't like the fact that we're missionaries talking to people about their ethnicity and how that has to do with what type of blood you can donate. I dunno, something like that haha. I'm starting to warm up to the members here. Last week we helped two families move. And both times I was able to introduce myself and get to know them, Also, both times we moved those two families, there were practically the same members helping move. The two families names were Sis. Wilson and the Vanderparts. On Sunday, I got to help pass the sacrament. It felt good to do that again. I haven't passed the sacrament since I left home. And of course I saw Brother & Sister Bennett. It was really nice to be able to see someone I knew back home. It reminded that even though i'm on the other side of the country we're really not that far apart spiritually.

So after about a week, I've learned that I don't like the alarm in the morning haha.  At all. I need to write in my journal more. I am getting more and more comfortable with Halifax. The missionaries here care about me. I am never alone. I need to take the intiative more. Don't be shy when it comes to talking to people about the gospel.   There were a couple days where I was missing home. But I was able to refocus and remember why I'm here. Halifax is beautiful. Don't be discouraged if I miss home or I'm not perfect at teaching a lesson or talking to a investigator. It will take time to adjust. And time flies haha.. It's already been a month.

Love you all! Good luck with getting ready for school, Calgary, and the new couch! Good to hear that Chris gave a talk yesterday. I'm sure he did great! Service is a good topic to talk on.

Love,
Elder O'Brien

No comments:

Post a Comment